We're getting ready for the holidays here at HOL and I have every intent to make the shop look like a winter wonderland, gift explosion. Gift wrapping, holiday dried florals, gifts - you name it, we'll have it! I hope you decide to do some of your holiday decor and holiday gift shopping with us this year. I promise we won't disappoint! :)
melanie is currently…
• FALL. and i mean fall flowers, fall clothing. The only season I actually have a plethora of clothes for is the fall (very anti-Miami of me, I know) so I'm excited to feel put together for the first time in forever. The stem bar is also full of fresh fall blooms which makes the space feel so cozy! We've got lots of berries and dry flowers in ivory and orange tones, brown leaves, fresh pampas. Visit us in store if you haven't already!
• Holiday Sourcing for the Shop. I'm officially taking it to another level. I want the store to become a one-stop gifting shop this season, equipped with gifts, gift wrapping, you name it, we'll have it. Any suggestions on things you might want to see?
• these pens. you guys. these pens have elevated my work product. everyone at the shop wants to steal my pens, so much so I had to buy another pack for myself and leave the old ones up for grabs. If you're a pen person and love color coordinating your notes or agenda, this one's for you!
• my upcoming travel plans! 1. We're taking the kids to Disney for Alexander's birthday, which should be fun because it's the first time they both actually understand who Mickey is (meaning that it might finally actually be worth the bajillion dollar expense). 2. I leave to Napa in two weeks (hence my desire for leather boots) and am so excited I swear I CANNOT contain myself. The last time I was there I was attending a wedding 12 weeks pregnant with Margot and let me tell you, being pregnant in wine country has got to be a form of torture. Happy to be redeeming myself, three years later. 3. And finally, I'm off to Charleston for Rachel Hollis' Rise Business Conference in November with two of my fellow entrepreneur friends, Nikki and Tiffany. We're staying in a fancy Southern hotel and plan on eating fun Southern meals and taking in all the conference has to offer!
• Movies: The Long Shot on Amazon Prime and Morning Glory on Netflix. Warning, Morning Glory is basically a decade old but I love a good Rachel McAdams rom com with a hot love interest (Patrick Wilson who is a BABE). And re: the Long Shot, can we talk about how beautiful Charlize Theron is? Like, let's please have a moment of silence for this woman's beauty. Her skin is impeccable and her body basically perfect. She makes me want to jump on the peloton for 4 hours straight.
• Million Dollar Listing NYC. About to start watching this but can't wait for the new season!
• The Great British Baking Show. This deserves an LOL but my new favorite show to watch and honestly, I have no clue why?! Is it the baking? Is it the British humor? Is it the daffodils that grow alongside the walkways of the estate grounds they happen to be baking on? I'm not sure but I'm embracing it 100 percent right now.
• Boots. Flat leather boots in black. Currently eyeing two that I bought but might be returning because I can't get over my skinny ankles in ankle height boots. I seriously had to pinterest women wearing ankle height flat boots because I feel like a leprechaun in them. Maybe I bought the wrong ones? Will keep everyone posted on this debacle.
• to revamp my makeup situation. I've never been the best at makeup purchasing but want to buy some good items I can't live without. I heard this Glossier eyeliner was great and really want to purchase good eyeshadow and lipsticks. Thoughts? I find the beauty industry to be extremely overwhelming with too many options which is exactly why I don't buy anything (decision fatigue). But I'm looking to change this over the next few months! Suggestions welcome!
• Ok, here's what I listen to in the car (music on Apple Music): Bad Bunny Essentials (lol) and podcasts - I just started Hidden Brain per someone's recommendation and enjoying it so far!
• In the shop: Taylor Swift Essentials, Kygo Essentials, or Hits by Decade (we switch off between the 70s and the 10s aka year 2000).
• Gluten-free update: Went gluten free (because my bloating was ABSURD) and now officially cannot digest gluten very well. I'm a little sad about it, to be quite honest, but I do feel better and I do have more energy. And am 100 percent less bloated. And I can say I don't crave it anymore, except when it comes to pizza and cake, i'm mourning somewhat of a loss.
• Finished: Where the Crawdads Sing and An American Marriage (this is Flower Club's October Book Club). Looking for a new read!
• My new affirmation is: God never lets me down. (this is a good one and resonates with me so much - maybe it helps one of you!). The Flower Club intention last month asked us to do something that made us uncomfortable and, in true control freak form, mine was up-leveling my faith. It's been an amazing month of trust, tests, and breakthroughs and I know I'm just getting started. But it feels uncomfortable and liberating at the same time, and that has to be a good thing, right?
cristie is currently…
• this metal tumbler there is something about the straw that is a major game changer. Plus it keeps everything extra cold. I have been drinking more water than I have in years and my skin is very thankful!
• los angeles - went to LA for a weekend for a wedding and I totally get the west coast lifestyle. The weather is perfection and the landscapes even better. I stayed in East side LA (Silver Lake) and loved it. Next time I want to do the coast from San Diego to Santa Barbara (akla Oprah land).
• linen - Common theme on all my currently posts as of late but SUE ME I am obsessed with linen. I bought a linen short suit and it was simply heaven. Plus I looked chic AF.
• Inside the Mind of Bill Gates holy F, I think I am in love with Bill Gates. These are words I thought I never would say but after watching this documentary series I am a major fan girl. How his mind works, his drive, the way he is changing the world and how he gives back to it. The world needs much more billionaires like Bill Gates. While in Seattle this August, I visited the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation offices and saw how they basically have cured polio in Africa and are changing the way third world sanitation works with innovation and hard work. This docuseries came at the right time! (netflix)
• The Politician - I watched this in the background all weekend. It was OK and easy to watch. Don't have a lot to say on it. (netflix)
• Hustlers - all hail Jennifer Lopez. When she comes onto the screen to Fiona Apple's hustlers, my jaw dropped. Not to mention, the movie was fantastic too. Jennifer Lopez for Best Supporting Actress?
• a professional organizer to come to my home asap...
• Besides committing to Linen wear, I am also committing to monochromatic looks. My closet is filled with soooo much print and I came to realization that I feel the most stylish when I am in a head to toe monochromatic look. Trying to be more aware of this when I am shopping for new clothes.
• podcasts on my new airbuds! gamechanger...
• I ate sooo well in LA. My favorites were the restaurant Bestia & any Mexican food (hello breakfast burritos) I encountered.
• on page 60 of Maybe You Should Talk to Someone and it's riveting. Haven't been into a book from the start like this in a long time. It's the story of a therapist, her therapist and her clients. I am excited to get home from work to read this book!
• I saw Melanie ordered a Book called "Everything is Figureoutable" and now this is my new mantra. Working on not being frustrated and realizing most things have a solution and if they don't, we can figure it out.