happy fall! we're gearing up for our busiest season yet and we've got a lot going on - photo shoot, new website menu, holiday flowers and garlands, wreaths and rose workshop (yass!). this is our FAVORITE time of year, and typically our most anxious (dear lord), but it's all always worth it in the end. we've got a brand refresh in the pipeline for the new year and you guys, I CANNOT WAIT. we've never strategically branded the company so this is one hundred percent a dream come true. i've been patient beyond belief, steadily growing this company and my two babies, and I finally have the chance to solidify our future and our vision through this process. we're doing it all - packaging, vases, logo, the whole shebang. i'll try and update you over the coming months but we've got too much to talk about to dwell on this topic. here we go!
melanie is currently…
• the fact that i've come off the grid and cut my comcast cable, millennial style. my cusp millennial husband is having a heart attack. but i am saving SO MUCH MONEY. and i love it. i recently became budget conscious (32 years late) and i am all over my spending like white on rice. both in business and personally. this deserves a whole other blog post because you have to affirmatively decide that saving money is worth more than the chanel bag you're currently eyeing (the reverse would be the story of my 20s), but it really gets easier overtime. and it's empowering on so many levels. but back to the topic, we're subscribed to hulu live and netflix and we mostly have smart tvs meaning that we don't NEED a fire stick or apple tv to watch these apps. however, we do have an amazon fire stick in the playroom that gives us access to a ton of movies for the kids. we also have sling for the next few months because alex NEEDS REDZONE and it's the only streaming service that has redzone. but that will be canceled soon. any questions on this, ask away in the comments. i did a ton of research on this topic.
• the rachel hollis #last90dayschallenge. you guys i am a SUCKER for self-development. and when i come across challenges that put me to the test, i'm all for it. for anyone wanting to ramp up the last 90 days of the year and not fall into "end of year" laziness, do it with me! it involves waking up an hour earlier every day and doing something for yourself, working out for 30 min everyday, and accomplishing goals and other intentions. i sound like an infomercial but if you're interested in keeping yourself accountable throughout this process, i'm all for it.
• my ashwaganda and eleuthero drops. we spoke about this on insta story this past week and people went wild. ashwaganda and eleuthero are basically medicinal herbs. they're all natural and have been around way longer than we have. ashwaganda is an adaptogen meaning that it helps your body manage stress. it also helps boost brain function and helps manage anxiety and depression symptoms. it also helps increase energy levels. eleuthero has also been around longer than we have and is better known as siberian ginseng. it helps boost immunity, reduce fatigue, increase endurance. my brother is graduating with his naturopathic medicine doctorate degree in may and is my go-to when i'm feeling out of whack (you guys, i was TERRIBLY, TERRIBLY fatigued). he recommended i start taking both in drop form here and here about a month ago and i am 100% a different person. i have more energy, i'm digesting better, sleeping soundly. this sounds crazy, but i feel like my body might actually like me more than it ever has. i will say that most people can take it but there are some who cannot - for instance, pregnant women and anyone with an autoimmune disease shouldn't take it. if you're interested in more comprehensive, holistic medicine of this kind, i would recommend going to see anyone that specializes in chinese medicine and talking to them about your needs!
• chefs table. new season on netflix!
• the marvelous mrs maisel - AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING. please watch it! rachel brosnahan is spectacular.
• jeff lewis, flipping out. gotta love jeff lewis and his antics. he's insane and i live for it.
• i watched part of the BEST SHOT docuseries, produced by lebron james, on newark central's highschool basketball team on youtube that touched my heart in ways unimaginable. if there was ever a cause to tug at my heart strings, it's kids that don't have the emotional or home stability that so many of us are lucky to grow up with. i fully recommend.
• jenny kayne flats.
• so many audio books. just finished girl wash your face by rachel hollis. SO GOOD if you're into becoming the best version of yourself there is.
• the usual podcasts - second life, how i built this, rise together! (so good for relationships) and the life coach school.
• home cooked meals! i fell off the meal prep wagon and i'm just taking it day by day. meal prepping was getting exhausting and starting to feel so forced and i think if i do start again, i'll need to find an easier way of doing so (maybe cooking easy proteins on sunday to pair with easy sides during the week, etc.). i'm going to find new methods that work better for me and write a blog post on this over the next few months - it's worth rehashing and discussing in detail.
• i'm also still working on Shoe Dog but i am ALMOST DONE. i swear.
• honestly, here's my hallmark ad, i just want to live in the moment every day. i recently heard a podcast with the co-founder of sugarfina (rosie o'neill) and she said something that struck such a chord with me. she said: you have to get comfortable with the uncomfortable if you want to grow as a human being (both personally and professionally). and for her, that meant accepting failure as a possibility when she started sugarfina. it means something totally different for everyone but there's something to be said about failing, or things not working out, or not having certain things in life to really put things in perspective and help you realize that the "worst" and our fears are never as bad as we make them out to be. the things that matter are "the things that matter," like our family, and the roof over our heads and the food that we eat, the laughter with friends. the rest is just extra fluff that becomes as important and necessary as we make it out to be (perspective is everything). and that's not to say that we shouldn't enjoy that extra fluff (trust me, i like quality) but when it comes down to it, it shouldn't be so important to ever make or break anyone or anything. because we're already whole and deserving exactly how we are.
cristie is currently…
in full fall mode. as many of my friends and family know i absolutely DETEST the months of august of september. i have a longstanding feud with both of these months. i like to compare them both to the monday of the calendar year. in miami, september is the absolute WORST. it's still hot AF, humid beyond belief and the world is hitting you with autumn clothes, pumpkin spice lattes and everyone not in miami is rejoicing a nip in the air.
BUT i have made it to the other side and it is now October! and dare I say, I feel a change in the air. love that the holidays are coming up (I am a freak that already has my christmas card set ready to send!) and the 6 months of perfect miami weather is on the horizon. i am excited to go to trader joes and home goods today, get my fall decor and decorate the whole house in, to circle back, full fall mode!
• acupuncture. right now i am in a mode of wanting full COMPREHENSIVE medicine. I love the word comprehensive, let's add that to the obsessed list. but yes, while i do love and appreciate western medicine, I do want to explore eastern medicine. melanie's brother is an herbal genius and you may have seen him on instagram giving tips a week ago. anyways, i went to treehouse acupuncture in the grove (my town!!!) for an initial consultation and acupuncture and was blown away with her knowledge and practice. the things she told me made SO MUCH sense and i am anxiously waiting her herbal prescription for me.
• trader joes - i found out the SCOOP that trader joes is going to open in CORAL GABLES. god loves me!
• the good place - this is the perfect show. i am obsessed with all things michael schur - he developed all my favorite shows: parks and recreation (the best show ever!), brooklyn 99 and now the good place. he is also just a dream, i love this podcast he did with my favorite dax shepherd (armchair expert). the first season and the second season are available on netflix and you have to start from the beginning because jokes pay off. could not recommend this show enough!
• maniac on netflix - was it bizarre, absolutely. but somehow i watched the whole season in one weekend so i guess i liked it? reminded me of 1980 japan and we all know i am obsessed with all things japan.
• this jumpsuit in every color. can i just make the statement that jumpsuits as a whole are an underrated clothing category? it's such an easy way to pull off a put together outfit. i think i am going to be investing in jumpsuits more in the future.
• wanting and getting my new iphone xs!!!! so excited. actually in all fairness this is probably more of a gift to melanie than it is to myself. the top right hand screen of my iphone has been broken for months. i can't post on instagram, i can't send you money on venmo. it's been pretty frustrating. BUT my new phone gets here today and I am pumped!
• what did i do before podcasts? also, how did i figure out what to buy before podcast? calling all advertising people - nothing in this world is more effective marketing to me than a podcast ad! my most recent buy - vital eggs, which are pastured raised eggs (one step above cage free). and i got to say, now that i am on the pasture egg tip I am not going back. not only do they taste better, but they are better for you and just a supremely more ethical way to buy your eggs. win win win!
• but i am going to a bachelorette party to austin city limits in a few weeks and i am so excited to be seeing paul mccartney live! going to be listening to a lot of the beatles & paul mccartney and the wings in the upcoming weeks. cant wait!
• so i just enrolled in this diet called "faster way to fat loss" which is a combination of interminent fasting and carb cycling. the program is online and you get put into a facebook group with a 'tribe' that holds you accountable for your everyday choices. i like that it is a diet and a community because i am someone who always has a lot of questions and the support from the facebook group is amazing. on week 2, so by next currently i will be able to tell you if it works or not!
• still working on Shoe Dog. ugh, i want to read but somehow never make the time for it!
• having a more comprehensive (again, my favorite word!) understanding of my health. this means my diets, my mental health and everything and anything in between. health is my priority for this month! especially before i head into the holidays and then i have 1092473895 weddings that i want to look good for and be at my best self!