- FIU – undergrad.
- Degree in communications.
- Post-grad, needed a job.
- Was a secretary at a doctor’s office.
- Photography was always a hobby.
- Until she realized she wanted to pursue it full time.
- She started a blog while she was working at the doctor’s office and would post her work.
- People started asking her to take pictures. She grew from there.
- Soon after, someone asked her to shoot their wedding. She had already quit her full-time job and took a part time job while she grew her business.
- Sept 2010 – her first wedding. After a year – felt legitimate. 2012 – Style me Pretty!
Her decision to venture out on her own and become Katie Lopez:
- She didn’t have much to lose because she wasn't very fond of her job.
- Wasn’t getting paid very well.
- Didn’t make the jump from having some great career in advertising.
- Knew it's what she wanted to do.
- Had a good support system.
Her Photographic Style:
- Natural light.
- Tries to keep it natural and feminine.
Photography as an Art:
- It's constantly evolving.
- And she's constantly learning.
- She's mostly inspired by beautiful light.
- The most challenging: finding spaces, making a beautiful photo, and moving furniture; but every wedding is a challenge, really - you have to be able to think fast to produce great work.
- Loves to meet her couples before weddings to develop a relationship.
Most difficult part of the job:
- She wears many hats! Like most creatives, she's a photographer and runs a business, i.e., editing, album design, accounting.
- The competition and comparing yourself!
- Trusting that you're good enough!
- Being confident in how you run your business.
Day to day Schedule:
- Coffee first.
- Emails for about an hour.
- Right into editing – always has something to edit.
- Album designing.
- Almost 3 to 4 weddings a month.
- At the beginning of each year - list of goals. The best: crossing them out! (I totally agree with this).
How she sets herself apart:
- Relationships with clients.
- Her natural style.
- Loves candid reception black and white images.
Favorite types of clients:
- Clients that trust her!
- And that have a great sense of style.
- When photos are so important to clients.
- And when they like natural light.
Favorite type of venues.
- Outdoor weddings.
- Unique and different.
Lessons for photography amateurs (like myself):
- "Keeping things true to life!"